Senior Vice President Software and Solutions Engineering at Impinj
As a senior global engineering executive, I successfully lead and drive the engineering activities of a company, including engineering product design, product development, advanced engineering, engineering support, and quality assurance. In addition, I function as a key strategic partner to the rest of a leadership team to participate in the formulation of corporate business plans. I demonstrate expertise to develop operating systems and controls within Engineering and monitor their effectiveness to meet stated business goals and adherence to established policies, procedures and practices. As a bottom-line driven leader, I develop and administer project control systems for all proposed, active and approved Engineering projects, ensuring that Engineering resources are efficiently utilized and that schedule commitments are met. Highlights of my achievements include: • Provided strategic direction and leadership to a global workforce of 4,000 engineers across 30+ locations and on 4 continents, while aggressively scaling down sites and talent ($700M budget). • Led the R&D of world-class modem products for use in cellular handsets and m.2 modules, including, CDMA, 2.5G, 3G, 3.5G, and LTE-A for the number 1 and 2 global mobile handset providers • Delivered strategic direction and oversight to a team of 300+ engineers across 6 design centers and on 3 continents. Oversaw and managed a $320M budget annually. • Presided over and managed all aspects of product development for cellular modems and software for mobile phone applications and oversaw and managed an annual budget of $84M budget. • Oversaw a global workforce of 272 engineers. Planned and implemented cost reduction initiatives by outsourcing portions of Integrated Circuit and software development offshore to India.
Ask me about
Jun 2019 - Present
Senior Vice President Software and Solutions Engineering
2017 - Present
CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER / VICE PRESIDENT & GENERAL MANAGER, OLYMPIC TEAM
• Promoted to deliver an unprecedented experience to the Olympics games through the development of technology partnerships as well as the technical integration of Intel’s 5G, Drones, Intel True VR and True View, AI, eSports, and other silicon solutions. • Build and lead a world-class team of professionals to deliver a flawless, integrated technology experience to both fans and spectators at the Olympic Games, displaying Intel’s finest products. • Work with technology partners and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to define an agreed upon roadmap, appropriate milestones, test suite and apparatus, and production devices to ensure flawless delivery for the Olympics Games. • Proactively communicate to the General Manager of the Olympic Games project progress as well as challenges and work across Intel’s verticals and project stakeholders to quickly resolve issues. • Manage multidisciplinary projects that are both regional and global in scope. Provide periodic reviews with management and key stakeholders to assure proper direction of the assigned projects. Manage issues and risks, including escalation of issues.
2011 - 2017
VICE PRESIDENT & GENERAL MANAGER, CELLULAR MODEM RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
• Oversaw all aspects of product development for Intel’s Communications Devices Group, including concept definition, system design, hardware/software development, testing, and integration of global products launches with Tier 1 cellular phone producers. • Provided strategic direction and leadership to a global workforce of 4,000 engineers across 30+ locations and on 4 continents, while aggressively scaling down sites and talent. Presided over and managed a $700M budget annually. • Worked closely with technology partners for IP integration in order to deliver innovative technology that helps to build better experiences for customers and those who serve them. • Led the research and development of world-class modem products for use in cellular handsets and m.2 modules, including, CDMA, 2.5G, 3G, 3.5G, and LTE-A for the number 1 and 2 global mobile handset providers • Delivered leadership and motivation, across the project life cycle, to a cross-functional team that included representatives from R&D, marketing, product management and other project leads.
2007 - 2011
VICE PRESIDENT, VERIFICATION
• Hired to oversee the development and execution of wireless system verifications for internal platforms and customer handsets, including platform software development and bug fixing of customer handsets and support of Tier 1 customer handset launches. • Delivered strategic direction and oversight to a team of 300+ engineers across 6 design centers and on 3 continents. Oversaw and managed a $320M budget annually. • Interacted with methodologists, designers and communication systems engineers to develop reusable testbench and verification environment deploying the latest methodology with metric driven verification. • Led and drove test planning, execution and reporting, including field testing, conformance testing, system testing, and Interoperability (IoT) testing, as well as continuous test improvements and automation. • Along with the software and hardware developers, test engineers and system architects, developed, tracked and managed complex projects in an effort to assist in the adoption and integration of wireless platforms and reference architectures.
1999 - 2007
DIRECTOR PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, MOBILE TERMINALS DIVISION
• Oversaw all aspects of functional management for Integrated Circuit (IC) design and development, physical design and development, board design and development, software and systems engineering, and platform engineering. • Presided over and managed all aspects of product development for cellular modems and software for mobile phone applications and oversaw and managed an annual budget of $84M budget. • Provided strategic direction and leadership to a global workforce of 272 engineers. Planned and implemented cost reduction initiatives by outsourcing portions of Integrated Circuit (IC) and software development offshore to India. • Worked closely with a variety of technology product managers, engineers and business teams to develop and define the cellular modem and software strategy for mobile phone applications. • Served as a stakeholder in the cross functional effort to drive collaboration across business units. Acted as a Subject Matter Expert to support business development teams with the integration of software/hardware platforms into the next generation of solutions.
1998 - 1999
• Led and drove top tier engineering teams in the test execution of broadband telecommunications program as the Test Director for Lockheed Martin Global Telecommunications. • As the Systems Test Director for the ACeS (Asian Cellular Satellite System) Program, oversaw the planning and development of the A03 Series of System Tests designed to provide the customer with a high measure of confidence in the systems functionality. • Managed the overall direction of all segment level test activities, including test reviews with the customer, scheduling of resources, and discrepancy report resolution as the First Shift Test Director for the ACeS Program. • Redesigned the segment level test phase of the ACeS (Asian Cellular Satellite System) Program. Applied best test practices to optimize reuse of tests and test activities. • Performed testing of wireless devices with embedded software, including remote testing via wired communication interfaces and peripheral functionality testing via wireless interfaces, etc.