Conversational AI @ NVIDIA
Salt Lake City, UT
Ask me about
Jan 2021 - Present
Senior Data Scientist
Aug 2020 - Dec 2020
Principal Data Scientist
Sep 2019 - Aug 2020
Staff Data Scientist
• Technical lead for NLP projects. • Developed a pipeline with multiple deep-learning models for detection of, and extraction of information from, marriage announcements in historical newspapers. • Guided all aspects of the project, from ideation through model development and deployment. • Developed and trained deep learning models for named entity recognition in marriage articles. • Created a novel text model for segmenting lists of marriages found in newspapers into individual announcements. • Developed and trained a gender-prediction model for persons mentioned in historical marriage announcements, with special emphasis on avoiding gender bias (Dr. Smith isn't always a man!)
Sep 2017 - Sep 2019
Senior Data Scientist
• Led end-to-end development of a machine learning pipeline to extract information from obituaries with high accuracy, allowing hundreds of millions of obituaries to be matched automatically to descendants for family history research. • Conceived and implemented a novel multi-modal approach for detecting individual articles in digitized newspaper pages, combining NLP and computer vision techniques. • Trained and optimized a tensorflow-based model to detect articles in scanned images of whole newspaper pages.
May 2017 - Jul 2017
Insight Data Science
Health Data Science Fellow
• Designed and built a web app to help wheelchair users find accessible homes, using publicly available data to predict wheelchair accessibility. • Scraped rental listings to compile a training data set of 900 homes known to be accessible or non-accessible. • Created a SQL database of over 2 million properties containing features assembled from county assessor records. • Built a machine learning pipeline to predict wheelchair accessibility based on features obtained from the county assessor, achieving 72% accuracy with a random forest model.
Jan 2016 - May 2017
Indiana University Bloomington
• Established a research lab to study meiotic recombination in baker's yeast using next-generation sequencing and a variety of other approaches. • Conceived and led research projects carried out by three full time lab members, producing insights into the mechanisms of meiotic crossing over. • Developed content for, and taught, undergraduate and graduate Genetics courses, including modules on statistical analysis of genetic and genomic data.
Jan 2009 - Aug 2015
• In Jennifer Fung's lab, built a custom data analysis pipeline in Python for using next-generation sequencing to map crossover positions in meiosis (sourceforge.net/recombine). • Discovered genes controlling crossover positioning through quantitative genome-wide analysis of crossover distribution. • Created a simulation of crossover patterning in Python to test competing hypotheses for how crossover positions are chosen during meiosis. • Developed novel approaches to detect changes in the length and sequence of telomeres (the ends of chromosomes) using next-generation sequencing. • Revamped lab processes for preparation of next-generation sequencing libraries, resulting in a 10-fold cost reduction and 20% time savings.
Aug 2009 - May 2010
• Taught Microbiology lecture and lab (part time, while working reduced hours in the Fung lab).
Aug 2009 - Dec 2009
University of San Francisco
• Taught General Biology lab (part time, while working reduced hours in the Fung lab).
2001 - 2008
• In Elizabeth Blackburn’s lab, investigated how cells sense and respond to DNA damage using classical yeast genetics and protein biochemistry. • Discovered that the yeast Tel2 protein is a partner for Tel1/ATM, an important DNA damage response protein with a role in human disease.
Aug 2000 - Aug 2001
University of California, Berkeley
• In Abby Dernburg's lab, studied meiotic chromosome behavior in the nematode C. elegans.
Oct 1995 - Jul 1999
Staff Research Associate
• In Peter Kushner’s lab, studied the biology of estrogen receptors in cultured human cells. • Identified an important interaction surface in several coactivator proteins via site-directed mutagenesis and protein-protein interaction assays.
2001 - 2008
University of California, San Francisco
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
1991 - 1995